Sunday, July 5, 2009

Do Not Mix Them

I am a pretty low maintenance kind of person.  You really have to be to have lived so successfully in the desert for 20 years and then transition to being a full time truck driver.  Really, I don't demand much and my expectations are pretty low.  
I made the mistake of getting an expensive salon cut and color in California.  
Three times.  
The stylist greets me by name and asks where we have been.  Then she asks my to close my eyes as she does an aromatherapy neck and scalp massage to release my tension.  She only uses a razor on my hair and she "textures" it sublimely.  She doesn't push products on me and understands that my only styling tool is a spray bottle of water.  She doesn't "style" my hair with curling irons and blowdryers, she knows I don't wear it that way.  
When we are finished, she takes me to the makeup counter to refresh my makeup and reapply some color to my lips.  Even here she doesn't push products on me.  I admit to buying some powder and lipgloss - they looked so good when she put them on me.
The only problem with this salon and stylist is that I never know when I'll be able to get another haircut.   
Sometimes, I have a brain-fart and decide that I can't wait until I see her again.  
I get panicky.  
I start fussing with my hair.   
I even think about getting the scissors out and cutting it myself.  
That would probably yield better results than what I did this afternoon.
I got my haircut in Wal-Mart.
Go ahead and laugh, I'll wait for the snickers to die down.

There was really no way this was going to end well.  What in the world was I thinking?  Was I thinking?  Obviously not!  There was no way I could walk into this shop with an $85 razor cut and expect to walk out with a smile on my face.  And, in fact, it didn't happen.  Without going into the gory details, suffice it to say that I may have learned my lesson there.  What was the lesson?  
Pick one and stick with it.  
Salon razor cuts - great, but keep getting them.  
Cheap haircuts - not bad, just don't expect much.
And most importantly . . .  DO NOT MIX THEM.

No comments: