Saturday, July 12, 2008

Look Leo - we're in Kansas!

In our travels back and forth the country, we hardly ever get to Kansas.  We hit all the states around it on  a regular basis, but miss Kansas.  In the last 2 days, we have made 3 trips through the Sunflower State and I have to say, it was a surprise.
The colors as you drive through the state are a deep verdant green and a gold that shimmers in the sunlight.  This is, of course, the color of stuff growing and being harvested.  Kansas is most  definitely an agriculture state and leads the nation in wheat and sunflower production most years.  
I also saw lots of fields of what I think is sorghum.  I have no idea what sorghum is used for.  I do know that the Mexicans fed our horses sorghum when we did horse trips there and it turned their poop the weirdest color of orange. 
The landscape looks like someone took the Big Bend and covered it with well watered chia seeds.  Go with me here and think about it. . . lush rolling landscape, absolutely no trees, lots of wide open sky.  Tony laughed at the "covered with chia seeds" part, but understood what I meant.
I was able to stop at a Wal-Mart for a quick resupply in Colby, Kansas.  I think they must have invented white bread here.  Probably slathered with Miracle Whip and topped with American Cheese.  These folks are BLAND.  But since they are the center of the country, I figure all the blandness swirls around and settles here in the center.  Needless to say, I wasn't able to find some of the staples of our truck such as, wasabi peas, hummus and caramel flavored diet pepsi.  Good thing we travel around and can find stuff elsewhere!
We are on our way back to the hot again - headed for El Paso.  I'm sweating just thinking about it!

2 comments:

TERLINGUAMOON said...

jana, we attach pictures to the Moon's blog - it's just like attaching a pic to an email; there's simply an icon you click to attach images, the icon is above the blog input textbox.

BMc said...

I am so glad that you are back in the posting mood. I definitely LOVE to read about your adventures -- even the "swirling blandness."