Saturday, November 27, 2010

Carolina Coast

We had a quick run from Charleston, SC up the beautiful Carolina Coast to drop an empty flatbed and pick an empty trailer.

Along the way, I got to do something I have wanted to do for many years . . . 

I got to stop and buy a SweetGrass Basket from the woman who made it.

These baskets are handmade by a small group of Gullah women on this piece of the Carolina Coast.

Angelika with her baskets
Each basket usually combines sweetgrass with long leaf pine needles and palmetto strips as the binder.

This was a Grand Prize winner - priced at $3,500.
I only had a few moments to chat with Angelika, but left with a hug from her and a very special basket for me.  
I have managed to coil 2 tiny pine needle baskets in the past and I can tell you how laborious the prep work is in addition to the actual coiling and binding.  This craft is also pretty hard on your hands.
What a treat for me.


2 comments:

Corrick family said...

I've always wanted to go there, too! Sounds like things are looking up?

Unknown said...

You an your adventures you share are a treat for me. Happy you three are together an happy!!!
Safe journey!!!